In the framework of the Mediterranean Living Heritage project (MedLiHer - Phase III) and under the patronage of the Minister of Culture, H.E. Mr. Gaby Layoun, the Lebanese National Commission and UNESCO Beirut Office organized a national workshop on "Intangible Cultural Heritage and Inventory" from June 29 to July 3, 2012 at Al Bustan Hotel - Beit Meri.
A second meeting, organized by the Lebanese National Commission for UNESCO and the Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ISESCO), was held in Beirut for the Arab Bioethics Committee.
The meeting was attended by representatives from Morocco, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Egypt, Tunisia and the Sultanate of Oman. The meeting focused on the topic of ethics in sciences, technology and medicine, discussing the various experiences of the participating countries and the challenges and obstacles faced in this area.
On the occasion of World Press Freedom Day, the Lebanese National Commission for Unesco organized in cooperation with the Unesco Regional Office in Beirut and the United Nations Information Centre – Beirut, under the patronage of H.E. the Minister of Information Mr. Walid Daouk, a regional conference on "Press Freedom: Key Challenges and Professional Responsibility".
A number of diplomatic personalities, media, journalists, academics and scholars attending the conference, including the Ambassador of Spain H.E. Mr. Juan Carlos Gafo, the Ambassador of Denmark H.E. Mr. Jan Top Christensen, the Ambassador of Turkey H.E. Mr. Inan Ozyildiz, the Ambassador of the Sultanate of Oman H.E. Mr. Mohammad Khalil bin Saleh Al Jazmi, the consul of the Embassy of Sudan Samir Batbout, the media adviser of the Iranian Embassy Saeed Asadi, the media adviser at the Egyptian embassy Ahmed Samawi , the media adviser at the embassy of UAE Alaa Makki al-Shammari, the embassy of the Republic of Yemen press secretary Abbas al-Moussawi, the Director General of the Ministry of Information Hassan Falha, the President of the Follow-up on Womens Issues Committee Dr. Fahmia Charafeddine, a representative of UNIFIL Mr. Sultan Suleiman, and the President of the National Commission Dr. Henri Awit, and Prof. Khalil Karam.
The concluding session ended with the following recommendations:
- National call for the protection of journalists regardless of their institutions and affiliations.
- Protection of the social media from illegal practices of arbitrary repression.
- Fight against impunity for attacks on journalists.
- Finding ways to immune the media against political money.
- Submitting a request to the Parliament to accelerate the endorsement of a new media law preventing the prosecution of journalists for their work according to the criminal law, and eliminating the previous censorship, as well as limiting the current one.
- Creating a fund to support independent media as means of protection from the pressure of media and political institutions, governmental and non-governmental.
- Inciting the media to ensure adequate warranties for the lives and security of its correspondents in case of exposure to an attack.
- Inciting the universities with faculties of Information to establish specialized research centers and strengthen the relations with the relevant civil society institutions.
- Inciting the media to organize workshops on introspection on the prejudices and stereotypes, to the practice of a media criticism on media.
- Encouraging specialized media.
- Establishment of national media observatories managed by youth.
- Creating common platforms for journalists and researchers.
- Coming up with a chart of ethics and rules of conduct to ensure the independence of journalists against self-censorship within their institutions.
- Inciting the media to contribute more effectively to the peaceful democratic transformation by focusing on issues of public concern, on rules governing the public life, and a daily citizen commitment to abide to these rules.
- Monitor the positive and normative models of ethical trade in the media work for the present models in public life and in the field of rehabilitation of young journalists.
- Strengthening the Arabic language on the Internet and promoting the use of a literary Arabic language in the media in general and particularly in the digital media.
In the framework of the National Reading Week, the Lebanese National Commission organized a reading day at Assabil Library for the children of SOS Village, comprising storytelling and activities by experts. Story books were distributed to all participants.
The Secretary General of the Lebanese National Commission for Unesco, Prof. Zahida Darwiche Jabbour attended the evening under the theme “Memory and Texts” alongside President Tarek Ziade; Ms. Mona Mosbah El Ahdab; the spouse of Ambassador Khaled Ziade; the President of El-Azm Cultural Center Mr. Abdel Kader Alameddine; the director of the Faculty of Letters and Human Sciences at the Lebanese University-Tripoli campus of Dr. Jean Jabbour, President of the Beirut Arab University, Dr. Ahmed Al-Sankari; the President of the Rotary Club Tripoli- Maarad Mrs. May Monla Chmaytolly; the President of the Lebanese Association for Promoting Reading Dr. Jean Touma; and the Assistant Director of Public Relations at Notre-Dame University, as well as a number of university students.
In the framework of the National Reading Week launched by the Ministry of Culture for the year 2012, the Lebanese National Commission for Unesco organized, in collaboration with Rotary Club Tripoli – Maarad and Safadi Foundation, a ceremony in honor of the poet Mohammed Ali Chamseddine at the Safadi Cultural Center in Tripoli, in the presence of Mrs. Mona Safadi, vice-president of Safadi Foundation, Prof. Zahida Darwiche Jabbour, Secretary General of the Lebanese National Commission for Unesco, Mrs. May Monla, President of Rotary Club Tripoli – Maarad, as well as a number of intellectuals, writers, academics and university students.
- On the occasion of the International Day of Francophonie (Presidency of the Lebanese University - Museum, 20/03/2012)
- Seminar on “Arabic Language and its Role in Building a Culture for Children and Adolescents” (Presidency of the Lebanese University - Museum, 21/02/2012)
- Regional workshop on “Reproductive Health and Gender Equality” (25-27/01/2012)
- Dr. Zahida Darwish Jabbour Secretary General of the Lebanese National Commission